Quick & Easy Homemade Face Masks
In this post I would like to share with you some homemade face masks that I find easy and effective, all within the comfort of your own home.
Now some of you may be thinking ‘uh oh’ … but don’t worry these are all very simple and quick remedies that cannot go wrong!
This mask is one of my favourites as it is super effective and super easy to prepare and apply! I suffered with acne over the last few years and now that is has cleared up, I have dark spots and blemishes that are difficult to get rid of.
Lemons are filled with AHA’s (alpha hydroxy acid) and BHA’s (beta hydroxy acid) which remove dead skin cells and help clear up blackheads, acne, and discoloration, while honey is a natural antioxidant and antibacterial.
AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids, e.g. glycolic and lactic acids) and BHA (beta hydroxy/salicylic acid) act to “unglue” the bonds holding dull, dead skin on the surface. Once those bonds are broken—gently and evenly—skin naturally sheds. So, although you won’t actually see your skin exfoliating, you’ll soon see the smoother, younger-looking skin hiding beneath.
You do not have to apply this face mask overnight, that is just my preference. Reason being is that when I wake up the next day, I have noticed that my skin has an instant glow and is visibly clearer and brighter in complexion. If you do not wish to apply this overnight, you can just apply it during the day for around 15-30 minutes or longer.
Warning: Make sure that you do not exfoliate before applying this mask as the lemon can sting your skin.
For this face mask, all you need is:
-1/4 of a Fresh Lemon
-1/2 a Tablepoon of Honey
– A small bowl
– A spoon
– A face mask brush OR you can apply with your hand
- Squeeze 1/4 of the lemon so that the juice pours into your small bowl.
- Add the 1/2 tablespoon of honey and mix together until the mixture forms a sticky/runny consistency. Do not worry if your mixture is more on the sticky side or more on the watery/runny side – the face mask will still work in the same way.
- Apply the mixture onto your face with either your hands or a face mask brush – I prefer using my hands so that I can get into every nook and cranny. I also apply this on my eye area ensuring I don’t get it into my eyes, but this is not a must.
- If you are applying this overnight, use a towel on your pillow so that the mixture doesn’t transfer onto your pillow. If you are applying this mask during the day, leave it on for a minimum of 15-30 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
Cinnamon & Honey Face Mask
I came across this face mask via Pinterest while I was suffering badly with my acne. It is a very simple and quick face mask to prepare and this combination of super-ingredients make for a great acne treatment and a way to fade acne scars.
Honey is a natural moisturing agent that contains anti-bacterial properties which is great for an acne treatment or a breakout prevention. and fights infection without irritating the skin. It locks moisture inside the skin and has antioxidant properties that protect against sun damage and free radicals.
Cinnamon reduces inflammation and redness, it’s an antiseptic which will reduce the bacteria infection in acne, while aiding in the prevention of blemishes and even help dry out existing pimples. It also stimulates circulation, exfoliates and revitalizes the skin by drawing blood, oxygen and nutrients to the surface of your skin, leaving it healthy and clear.
Warning: Before testing this face mask on your face, please carry out a small patch test on your wrist to see whether this face mask is suitable for your skin type.
All you need for this face mask is:
-2 teaspoons of honey
-1 teaspoon of cinnamon
-A small bowl and spoon
-A face mask brush (optional)
- After cleansing your skin, mix the honey and cinnamon so that it forms a paste.
- Apply the mixture onto your cleansed face with either your hands or a face mask brush. You can either apply this all over the face or just concentrate on the blemished areas making sure you avoid the eye area.
- Leave the mask on for 10-15 minutes. I did find that this face mask does leave a tingling sensation so don’t be alarmed it is just the ingredients being put to work.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove face mask with lukewarm water, and then wash your face again with cold water to close the pores.
Rice Flour & Milk Face Mask
This face mask is best known for lightening and whitening as well as keeping the skin smooth and youthful looking. I love using this mask on a regular basis as it really does make a difference to my complexion instantly.
Rice contains a high concentration of PABA. PABA (para aminobenzoic acid) is a very good sunscreen. When taken internally, PABA also raises the Vitamin C levels in our bodies.
Rice also contains two other sun protecting agents – ferulic acid and allantoin.
Ferulic acid is an antioxidant. Incredibly, scientists have found that when ferulic acid is added to Vitamin C and E, its sun protection ability doubled. (Scroll down this page to read an extract of the study’s findings.
Allantoin is a good anti-inflammatory agent. It soothes sunburns and also promotes the skin’s repair.
All you need for this mask is:
-1 or 2 Tablespoons of Rice Flour
-1 or 2 Tablespoons of Milk
-A small bowl
-Face mask brush (optional)
- Put both the rice flour and milk into a small bowl and mix until this forms a paste.
- Apply with face mask brush or hands all over your face avoiding the eye area.
- Wait for the face mask to dry, this can take up to 10 minutes but I always leave mine on for half an hour or more.
- Rinse off face mask gently with luke warm water – please ensure you take care when removing the mask as it does dry to a rough texture (similar to an exfoliant).
I hope that you all find these homemade face masks useful and as effective as I did and PLEASE let me know how you all get on with them by dropping a comment/message !
Also if you would like me to share more D.I.Y. beauty remedies please let me know by dropping a comment !
Thank you for reading 🙂